Everyone loves a good Cinderella story, in other words, a rags-to-riches story. They are motivating and give us great hope that life can get better, even during some of the most difficult times in our lives. So here are some of the most surprising rags to riches stories, K-Pop edition!
1. BTS: Probably one of the biggest rags-to-riches stories. BTS’ debut was extremely difficult, but you couldn’t tell by just looking at them today. Since they belonged to a small company that no one knew existed, this led many industry insiders to look down on them, regardless of their talents. Even denying their appearances on music shows. The only way for BTS to get a spot to perform on stage was if a group had to pull out of their recording at the last minute. In other words, in the beginning, BTS was basically the understudy of the music industry. So imagine the surprise that came when BTS started climbing the social ladder, it seems like all the blood, sweat and tears that went into keeping the band alive finally paid off. Now the tables have turned. Everyone in the industry wants to invite BTS but let’s just say it’s a lot harder than before.
2. IU: Make more appearances on variety shows than on actual music shows. IU, who is now one of the most beloved and respected singers in K-Pop entertainment, didn’t have the best start either. Her parents got into heavy debt, and because of this, her parents had to work most of the time, leaving IU and her brother to be sent from parent to parent. Eventually reuniting with her grandmother in a one-room apartment, but the struggles didn’t end there. IU also failed 20 auditions as she tried to achieve her dreams. It’s great to see that she never let her struggles stop her from pursuing what she loved to do. Can you imagine K-Pop without UI? It’s impossible!
3. INFINITE: Another great story that proves that courage and perseverance will take you to great places. INFINITE started gaining traction when their hit song “Be Mine” ended up climbing to the top of the charts. But the members of INFINITE, even at the beginning, didn’t know whether or not they would debut. Woollim Entertainment at that time was going bankrupt, and the CEO also had to give up his own house so he could get funds to create INFINITE’s music video. Just as INFINITE was about to disband, fate had something else in store for them! This is why even when the members won first place on “M Countdown” with “Be Mine,” they could be seen crying.
4. Big Bang: While YG Entertainment is known to be one of the biggest music companies today, YG Entertainment also had a time when it struggled to keep the company afloat with the production of Big Bang. Bang. During their pre-debut days, the members couldn’t even afford to eat and had to beg the producers of their first documentary to buy them food. But now the tables have turned, and it’s great that every Big Bang member can afford as much as they want to eat! Even G-Dragon, during his appearance in “Please Take Care of My Fridge,” shocked everyone with the expensive caviar he had stored in his fridge!
5. Girl’s Day: Another band whose members had to go through a lot of hardships, Girl’s Day got off to a rocky start. Coming from a small company, and on top of that, receiving a lot of backlash for their over-the-top, cringe-worthy cuteness, Girl’s Day faced all sorts of insults. After an eventful first stage, it was also very rare to find Girl’s Day invited to different programs. It wasn’t until the release of “Something”, where the girls adopted a new concept, that more attention began to be drawn. Now they are one of the best bands of this decade!
6. Block B: With each twist, the members of Block B also encountered difficulties. Created by Stardom Entertainment, which was a relatively new label that existed, Block B went through various line-up changes, losing Winner’s Mino in the process. On top of that, Zico and Park Kyung had to produce their own songs because their company was unable to provide the necessary funds. But things didn’t stop there, as Block B was also heavily criticized for its styles and concepts. However, this did not stop the member’s artistic creativity. With the release of “Nanrina,” Block B established his place in the K-Pop industry. Then came other mega-hits such as “Her”, “Very Good”, “Jackpot”, “Toy”, “Shall We Dance” and “Nillili Mambo”.
The moral of the story, be nice and kind to everyone, because you never know where they might end up!